Channeling Negativity Into Positive Workout Results

It was quite a while ago, but I can still remember a time when I was skinny, frail, and thought dumbbells were something that rang.  Also, I can still remember being told I look weak and "move like a snail".  It was comments like that which originally drove me to start working out.  I remember thinking to myself, I want to get stronger, I want to get faster, I want to be fitter than everyone else.

These days exercise is second nature to me.  In fact, it often seems like my life revolves around my workout routine.  But it wasn't always like this.  To say I was intimidated the first time I walked into a gym would be an understatement.  Looking at myself in the mirror struggling to curl 10lb dumbbells, I remember thinking "what am I doing here? I don't belong here".  But just as I was about to put the dumbbells back and walk out of the gym I remembered the names, I remembered the laughs, I remembered why I came to the gym.  I told myself that I would keep coming back to the gym no matter what happened.  It took a while, but eventually I got strong, I got bigger, I got quicker and the jokes stopped.

However, not all my dreams came true.  Girls don't magically flock to me (at least not in-shape girls, but that's a topic to be addressed at another time in another post), guys don't look at me and cower in fear, and I can't crush rocks with my bare hands.  But still, I'm healthy, I feel great, and I can't help but smile a little when I look at my reflection in the mirror (a little conceded, I know, but hey, it took a lot of work to get the body I have now).  The point is that negative people can bring you down or bring you up, it's all about perspective.  I don't get angry anymore when I encounter negativity.  I just kept my calm, keep going about my day, and when I step into the gym I use that negativity to fuel my workout.  I let it push me to be stronger and faster.  Like the old adage goes; nothing in life is easy.  But a little commitment and self-belief can go a long way in the workout room.  A different perspective can go a long way in life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there!

    I have a quick question about your blog, could you email me please? Thanks!!

    Melanie : )

    ReplyDelete